Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sad News

My great aunt has fractured her hip in a fall this morning. My cousin (her son) will undoubtedly have to make a decision as to place her in facility when she is released. Quite honestly, he has been a horrible son. He rarely does anything for her. Has access to her bank accounts, which he promptly uses for his own purposes, leaving her near broke. My mother, bless her heart, takes her to all the doctors appointments, to the meeting with social services for her VA benefits and social security dealings. Not him. She even does her laundry and makes sure she gets to church on Sundays and other church functions. Not him, though he attends the same church service and passes her house to get there. He even drives her car, while she maintains it. It is really quite sad and infuriating. I'm afraid this may end the same as my grandfather. She is not as resilient as he was. I hope he can live with himself.

In other sad news today, my uncle, my father's youngest brother was rushed to the hospital last night, unable to breathe. He has the same problem my father does. He is currently using a breathing tube. My father has felt too bad to even visit yet. One of my aunts stayed with him last night till 2am. Where his daughter, son in law or grandchildren are at is beyond me. He had part of his jaw removed years ago because of cancer and has used a feeding tube since. He is in bad shape, even before this happened. My father fears the worse. This will be the beginning of the end for him.

It is deeply disturbing when these things happen to family members. More disturbing to see how their immediate family members respond (or not). My parents have helped both of these relatives immensely over the years when needed. It makes me angry. As long as there is a breath left in me, it will never happen to my parents, sister or her family. That I can swear to.

5 comments:

Mind Of Mine said...

Isn't there anything you can do to stop her Son basically stealing from her whenever he wants, changer her account or her details?

Ultra Dave said...

We have no control over her accounts and she refuses to believe he is the reason or remove his access.

Cubby said...

I'm sorry to read this. Families have been torn apart for less, that's for sure.

Ur-spo said...

sad news indeed; it is hard to watch loved ones grow old/fade and become frail.

Russ Manley said...

I took care of my mom for 20 years, over a long, slow decline in health and ability. There was a cost to that, but I'm proud to say I did my duty. Not sure why other people don't.

Actually Dave, most states have a law against exploitation of the elderly. Check out the elder abuse agency there in NC.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet