Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It Gets Better

Growing up, I always knew I was gay. I never questioned it. Never wanted to be otherwise. Never had a problem accepting that fact about myself. I knew I was different. I knew that there were others like myself somewhere in the world. I also knew it wouldn't be easy. The world didn't understand me, my difference, my uniqueness, my gift. I knew. Most everyone else did too.
When I came out to my parents in 9th grade. They didn't believe it. They thought I would out grow it. Some odd phase I was going through. Of course it didn't go away. Neither did I. I learned to gauge who could accept it, who was like me, and how to cope with the perceptions. I've never been a conformer, but by being true to myself, I earned respect. I never cowered or back down. I never ran away. I was resilient, just as all are capable of being. It's the adversity that gives us strength. Empowers us. If I wasn't like everyone else, then I was gonna strive to be better.
I was involved. I let people see me for everything I was, not just for my sexual attraction. I could play sports, and weight train. I could be on committees and in clubs. I could attend events and win awards and recognition. All by being the best I could be.


I can remember a few taunts in high school. I ignored them. Why should it bother me if I was gay or a cocksucker? I never gave the power to hurt me to any other. I was better than that. The one time a fella turned around in class while the teacher was out, and struck square in the chest for no reason, I looked him in the eye and said "Your ass is mine after class." I didn't raise my voice, whimper or cower. When was class was over, he couldn't be found. I never had another incident from anyone.
I was lucky. I never allowed pressure to get to me. I dated a couple of girls. Hung out with girls. When I met a guy and we became close, I stopped dating girls altogether. There was no need. I was going to be myself. Who God had wanted me to be. And I have never looked back or questioned. Each passing year, it all gets better. Hang in there. Find people who appreciate you for your uniqueness. And screw the rest.

6 comments:

Cubby said...

Great essay. I'm glad your high school experience went fairly smoothly.

Ur-spo said...

well said !

Peter said...

Thanks for sharing, Dave.

Lemuel said...

I think that the most significant line in your post is this: "I never gave the power to hurt me to any other." Well stated and a good philosophy for us all.

I did have to chuckle at your response to the fellow who hit you in the chest. It could be taken two ways. I could not help but wonder which one terrified him more. :-D

Ray's Cowboy said...

You are fully correct. I fyou give people the power over you, than you are screwed. One has to keep the power for himself to survive. I did; trust me; high school canbe hell. But if you have wonderful freinds to help out . It is not really that bad as well.

Ray

TomS said...

As someone who was hospitalized from being gay-bashed, I am here to tell you that it is not always possible to control who has the power to hurt you. Be careful.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet