Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Daddy Update

My father has had a really rough week so far with his breathing. He has no stamina what so ever any more. He use to eat breakfast with his cronies every morning. This week he has gone through the drive thru for breakfast and brought it home to eat. He does nothing but cough it seems like. My sister stopped by this week after not seeing him for a couple of weeks and thought he needed to go the hospital it was so bad. So far, he isn't coughing up blood, which is very good, but he is coughing far more than he use to and for longer. My mother called me at work this morning and asked me to stop by on the way home. I did. I got the shower stool down from the attic that my grandfather used. Apparently, my father doesn't have the energy to shower standing up now. That is of great concern. Enough that today, she set an appointment with the doctor for Friday morning. I'm worried. My mother is worried. My father is trying to put on a brave front, but I see the worry, maybe even fear, in his eyes when he looks at me. It's un-nerving and upsetting to see how steep his decline in health has been over the last 6 months. It's even worse to know there is nothing the doctors can do at this point. Sad doesn't even begin to cover it.

8 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

dave, I know what you are going through. my FIL did the same things.

I pray you and your parents have investigated the hospice situations in your area; the people that run hospice are VERY compassionate and caring. my MIL says she would not have been able to deal with the situation without them.

my thoughts are with you, honey. {{{{{gentle hugs}}}}}

Ultra Dave said...

My mother retired from Hospice. I volunteered there for a while and my father has evened helped a litte there as well. I'm hoping we aren't that far along yet.

Ray's Cowboy said...

Dave you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Ray

Cubby said...

This is so rough David. I'm really sorry to read this.

Ur-spo said...

as a doctor, one of the hardest thing I see is a someone with a loved one in trouble/decline or sorrow.
I am saddened with you.

Ray's Cowboy said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ray

Russ Manley said...

I know how hard it is. All good thoughts and wishes.

Steven said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you and the family and I hope that the appointment on Friday assured recuperation and relief for you. (((((Dave)))))

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet