Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Intimidator

Many years ago, on one of the few occasions I ventured out to a club, a curious thing happened to me. No, it wasn't meeting Mr Right or even Mr Right Now. I was alone and slightly bored. I had hoped to see a friendly face in the crowd, but having been out of circulation for so long, I guess those with whom I had been acquainted with had moved on. I ordered a drink, and roamed around the place. It was loud, dark, crowded, smokey, but I was gonna make the most of it while I was there. I came to rest against a column, near the dance floor. From there, I could see most of the bar without much effort. I leaned back, lifted a foot against the column and proceeded to take in the sights. Nothing more exciting than watching the younger guys dance, drink and flirt on a Saturday night. I had been parked there for maybe thirty minutes, sipping and people watching, when a guy approaches me. It was dark, but he seems handsome enough. He walked right up to me and said, "You look intimidating." I asked why he thought that. He replied, "You should smile more." Then he walked off toward the door. A complete stranger, no introduction, nothing but some well meaning advice.


I've never considered myself intimidating. I don't think anyone who knows me would either. I've often thought about that anonymous comment. Still haven't figured it out. I must not have been that intimidating for him to approach and speak. However, I do try to make the effort to ensure, even if I'm not smiling, I'm not glaring, sullen, or intimidating when I'm out by myself.


1 comment:

Russ Manley said...

Somewhat in the same vein, a friend told me years ago that I seemed "aloof."

I was amazed to hear that. Just standing around minding my business. I suppose some of us, our faces in repose are not so friendly-looking, must be the message.

But I thought then, and still do - what the hell else am I supposed to do? Stand and grin like an idiot at nobody in particular??

Obviously, I'm just not the party boy type . . . .

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet