Saturday, September 20, 2008

Stubbornness Part 1


I was at my parents house, well technically my grandparents' old home that they are renovating (to move into and sell theirs), helping my father move out the old kitchen cabinets for my uncle to pick up this afternoon. So while we were waiting for him to show up, he and I sat on the tailgate of my grandfather's old truck, just talking. I, not to subtly, brought up the subject of the elections. I was hoping to change his mind about voting for McCain. He told me that he had never made as much money before as he had under the Republicans. I retorted that was great for people in his position, but what about people like me that couldn't even find a job. (He thinks McCain is great). I said he's had 26 years in Congress to do something and still hasn't, how could that be change? He mentioned some not so nice stuff about Obama ethnicity, that includes his wife's looks. I said that wasn't a good way to pick who will run the country or save us from the financial meltdowns we are facing. He said to let other people worry about themselves. I reminded him that currently I'm one of those other people that the government is supporting and ask did he want to continue to keep me up? He said I deserve it. Unfortunately, my uncle drove up with his hired help (an under employed brick mason and a Hispanic guy working on the side to help support his family) so we couldn't finish the discussion.

The reason I even wrote about this is to show the ignorance and bigotry, and yes, even greed that plagues this country today. My father wasn't worried about other people losing their money in failed institutions, or having their homes foreclosed. Why would he? My parents have two homes that are paid for, another they just inherited from my grandfather, and another my father has half interest in from his father's inheritance. They also now have a total of about 25 acres of land in an area where prices are over $50,000 an acre. And my parents own my mobile home! He keeps very little in the stock market (It's just to risky for him). My sister and her husband have over 200 rental properties and one of my uncles has untold rental houses in the area. I guess he isn't worried about anyone else's future. Everyone he knows is taken care of! Now, don't get me wrong, both of my parents are very generous with time and money. Both are very strong supporters of our local Hospice. Both have helped me through my rough spots in life more than I can even count. My father helps out his other siblings when they have a need. I know he has even loaned money to a co-worker that was never repaid. But not voting for someone because of their color or even learning from independent, unbiased source instead of just TV commericals is just about the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

This attitude, sorry to say, is very prevalent in the south. I doubt I can change his mind. It won't stop me from continuing to try. I wanted to bring up the fact that because of Republicans and people who use the same logic is the reason I have no rights. I can pay tax, serve on jury duty, be arrested, but I can still be discriminated against in housing and unemployment in our state. I can't even die for my country. I can't marry the person of my choice and someone else, because of their religious beliefs can trump my personal rights. What happen to liberty and the pursuit of happiness? What happen to we are all created equal? I'm personally tired of being a second class citizen. I want some one watching my back for a change. I want a level playing field for everyone and everyone using the same rule book. Not special or different, just legally the same as every straight, white or black, female or Hispanic, Muslim or atheist. Is that really too much to ask?

No comments:

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet