Thursday, November 19, 2009

Giving Thanks

Breaking bread is one of the truly oldest traditions around. At this time of the year, we as a society pause a moment to reflect upon our blessings. I feel we should do this more often during the year, instead of only once. Despite it or maybe because of it, none of the bad things that have happened bother me during this season. This will be the second Thanksgiving without my grandfather around. He was a major influence on my life. These times that the family gathers together seem empty without his presence. I know that he is still around, just as my grandmother, watching over us, seeing what we are up to. I find a great deal of comfort in that.

There are so many things I feel thankful for this year in particular. It seems like my grandfather's passing was the end of one chapter in my life and the beginning of a new one. I felt the same way when my best friend passed away 9 years ago. Like somehow even though things were certainly gonna be different from here on out, they will also somehow be better. So far they have. Not only has my attitudes towards life in general have changed, but my appreciation for life, the people in it, the things that make me who I am. I feel closer to the universe in a way, more of a part of it. I feel a closer connection to my family and friends than ever before. It's odd, but I really don't think I truly lived before their deaths. Like there was a barrier holding me back from experiencing life to the fullest. Maybe it is just the fact that it took the death of so many people close to me to learn what living was really all about.

I have many fond memories of family and friends over the years. A majority of them involve food. Restaurants, the dinner table, where ever we shared a meal, it seemed to be just as nutritious for our souls as our bodies. Conversations over dessert or pre-dinner drinks, the shared experience, the connection, was undeniable and strengthen. For that, I will always be thankful.

4 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I fully understand where youare coming from. thank you for sharing this with us.
Hugs
Ray

Jim said...

Beautifully written!

I'm thankful for the new friend I found in you!

Ur-spo said...

I agree, that was nicely put. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Lemuel said...

Your post reminded me of a small wall hanging that I have (somewhere packed away now): "What kind of a revolution would it be if all the people of the world could sit down and eat together."

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet