Monday, December 7, 2009

Don't Stop The Music



Music is such entertainment to me. While my taste runs the gamut, I do seem to be drawn to the trancey, dancey stuff. Sure, I have an appreciation for different types and certain artist garner more attention from me than others. I'm not a musical snob. I'll give anything a listen before determining whether I like it, love it or really don't care for it. There are certain songs that remind me of a place or a person or an event. I love memories that have a soundtrack. I have many of those filed away in my head. I always seem to have some song running through my head at any given time. I love a toe tapping, catchy tune. I like words that relate to me or my life. While I appreciate opera as an art form, and I have seen a few, none move me musically. The acting part might, or the subject, but thus far, the music hasn't. However, there are some great voices I love to hear, like Sarah Brightman or Michael Ball. Rap doesn't do much for me either, usually because of the subject matter. I can't relate. Though L.L. Cool J does hold a fascination for me. I really like pop music, especially from the 80's and 90's. That was when I was a DJ. I had a ton of 12" remixes on vinyl to spin at parties. I loved starting slow in the evenings while people were still getting liquored up. After an hour of slowly building tempo, I would unleash spins with 100 plus bpms. Oh those were the days! I actually like some country music as well, even some from back in the day. The contemporary cross over stuff is more pop like and easier to handle. The older stuff reminds me of my childhood, with a record playing in the background at the dinner table. Rock is cool. In all it's forms. I have favorites there as well. Surprisingly, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Creed, Live, and many more. Sometimes it is the song, or the voice, or the lyrics, or the music itself. I even have certain hymns I love. Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art, come to mind. Tribal/World music has a place too. I'm not defined by music, but moments can be. There seems to be something that will fit appropriately if your taste are diverse. Music has a way of connecting people like nothing else, usually in a happier way. I may not have any musical talent myself, but I certainly recognize it and support it. It would be difficult to choose an all time favorite, but if a top six were ok, I have to chose, in no particular order, The Eurythmics, Enya, Sarah Brightman, Dead or Alive, Josh Groban and Andrea Bocelli.

3 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I have to agree with you. You have great taste in music.
Ray

Ur-spo said...

The Eurythmics, Enya, Sarah Brightman, and Josh Groban are favorites of mine too.

Lemuel said...

I cannot imagine my life without music. My tastes are quite varied and often are dependent upon my mood.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet