Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wringing Out The Old


With the old year drawing quickly to a close, I find myself recalling events of the past. Not just from this year, though it has been eventful, but from all the many years before. I think back to days when I though being in your 40's meant you were old and near death. Days when I was sure the friends from my youth would be around forever. Times when I had a job to go on New Year's Day, or money in the bank. Previous New Year's Eves spent with my boyfriend, chilling champagne for the last drink of the year, just waiting for the ball to drop and that final kiss of the old year. Even the memories of childhood, when my parents would allow me to stay up to watch Dick Clark's Rockin New Year's Eve on TV. So many great memories. As stated before in other post, this time of year is a mixture of emotions for me. This year is no different. I look back fondly over the years of celebrating this tradition in it's myriad ways. The out come was always the same. The next day came and went. So did the next. And the next. Life carried on, regardless of what happened or didn't. I adapted, adjusted and went on with it. I didn't hold back on living my life when my grandparents passed away, nor when so many of my close and dear friends died. I didn't let unemployment or the end of a ten year relationship undo me. I moved forward, as time does. It seems to experience life, it has to be done in the moment, not after the fact or before it's time, the here and now, this moment. All the New Year's Eves thus far have taught me that. No matter what has happened in the past, nor what will happen in the future, I'm ready to face it head on with vigor and tenacity. So 2010, bring it on and be prepared to have your ass handed to you when you're done.

6 comments:

Ur-spo said...

that was lovely.

Ray's Cowboy said...

Ihope that 2010 will bring you everything you want. I love how you open up to all of us. Thank you for doing so.
Hugs
Ray

witomski said...

Dave...Eloquently stated....Happy New Year!....Joe

Lemuel said...

This current year began with such hope but is ending with such disappointment and stress that I must admit that I am wondering just what '10 will bring. I need a good shot of your spirit to face the new year. :)

TomS said...

Wow..New year's Rockin Eve! I remember that too!

You will have a good year Dave... keep writing, and I'll keep following.

Best,
Tom

Russ Manley said...

You are so right Dave - despite all the ups and downs, life goes on, whether you really want it to or not. So you might as well hang on tight and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet