Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Angel Tree

About 3 years ago or so, when I was a bit more involved with Hospice, I had the honor of attending their Angel Tree in the local mall. At first, I thought it may be a bit boring, but it actually turned out to be quite exciting. I sat quietly behind the table they had set up, the large tree at one end. I had a book that people could sign the names of their departed loved ones in that would be read aloud on Christmas Eve at a special ceremony at Hospice. We offered round ceramic plaques for $5.00 that you could hang on our tree or your own at home. All the money went to support services at Hospice. People would come over to the table to inquire, setting down all their packages and bags. It didn't take much for them to tell their story of their loved one and how much Hospice had meant to them and their family before they finally passed. Some would get teary eyed, others had an angelic smile as they recounted the story. The hours I sat their were probably the best I've ever spent in a mall. When my shift was over, I hated to leave. I looked forward to getting back as quickly as I could. It was a beautiful experience, one I'll never forget. It changes you for the better. It touches parts of your psyche that normal life experiences fail to do. It awakes appreciation for life, for people who do more than required of them for others. It makes you compassionate and empathetic. It's a spiritual experience. If you ever have the opportunity to help with any Hospice event, avail yourself to it. It will do you a world of good. It has me and my family.

3 comments:

TomS said...

Dave, I have been involved in Hospice activities and I share in your opinion. Thank you for sharing your experience with us here! ~Tom

Ur-spo said...

that was lovely, thankyou.

Lemuel said...

Our most recent experience with Hospice was this past year when they cared for my MIL. They were marvelous. We cannot say enough nice things about their care.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet