Monday, December 8, 2008

Nature Preserve

I never wanted to not be gay. I can't imagine myself any other way. Over the years, my parents have come to an uneasy truce about it. We don't speak of it actually. I know it isn't ideal, but it's what they can handle and as long as they don't push me about it, I don't push back. They only know of tidbits about my "gay" life. I told my mother when I met my last ex I would be spending a lot of time with him instead of at home. My father knew when we got into the knock down drag out fight, his only concern was for me. My mother knew when we split up, after the fact. My sister knows a bit more, cause she open minded and has a gay couple as friends. We also talk more about sex and life in general than I do with my parents.

I'm was thinking a couple of days ago about other families that have gay children. I remember right out of high school a friend of mine was from a family with four kids. Two boys and two girls. All gay. A set of twin boys I met years ago out at a club were both gay. And another set of twin boys I met one was gay and one was straight. Go figure. Whether science can ever isolate the cause of homosexuality is sort of a moot point. Those that believe it to be unnatural will never be swayed by science. Those that think otherwise will be vindicated. Homosexuality has been observed in nature in over 400 separate species. It would appear to me that those people who think it is against God's plan aren't paying attention very well. Not to mention, they freely admit that know one can know the mind of God, so how do they know what his plan is?

I have no clue as to why some people are gay and some are straight. If it was nurture wouldn't there be no homosexuals from straight parents? That argument doesn't hold water. The fact that some think it is a choice are crazy. Who in their right mind would want to be hated, despised, discriminated against and held in contempt by so many of the fellow human beings? Can they choose to be straight? It does appear that gays do bring some interesting traits to the table. The level of creativity in just about all areas is one. Music, art, fashion, design, etc. I wish there were reliable statistics about the contributions of gays to straights made through out history and to their overall impact in the world. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be slanted disproportionally toward gays even given the small percentage we represent in the population. Maybe we are here to teach others. Maybe to balance out the population. Maybe to counteract intolerance, bigotry, discrimination and aggression. Who knows? But one thing is certain, the world would be in worse shape than it is, if we weren't here to support or lead the way toward change on many fronts.

1 comment:

Lemuel said...

Your final statements echo your thought mid-post, a thought that struck me as so true: there are a bunch of people out there who aren't paying attention very well. Indeed!

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet