Sunday, December 14, 2008

Scholastic Underachievement

I spoke with my instructor about the current state of my scholastic disaster. Though I could feasibly pass the Web Design class by catching up the assignments, the penalty for missed classes knocks my grade to failing. So depression has screwed up this semester. There is no way to salvage either class I took. I was doing so well before this happened. I hate to tell my parents of yet another failure. They won't be surprised but disappointed, but not as much as I am in myself. I register for next semester Monday, so barring any mental breakdowns between now and then, I plan to be there. I've made up my mind to go into web design/computer graphics. The database class was boring and unimaginative. I like the creativity and technical skills for web design/computer graphics. It felt much more satisfying. The program also moves along much quicker than the database program of study. Part of the web design curriculum is the learning of programming code, so that should prove to be a very useful skill. We had a bit of it this semester in web design, though I wish it could have been a little more. Well, I failed so now I start over for the umpteen time in my life. Thank goodness my bootstraps aren't worn out yet.

4 comments:

Lemuel said...

I think of the lines "I get knocked down, but I get up again..."

Does your school "cancel" a failing grade if you retake the course and pass? The school that I taught at (adjunct) did that.

If you are more creative, I can undertand how the database course was boring to you - especially if it were poorly taught. Databases, particularly in the design phase, take a kind of creativity, but also a lot of analysis and thought in terms of how object relate to one another. It is an exercise in analysis not far removed from philosophy.

The web design sounds like it would be a better fit for you, but I might forewarn you that nearly every thing related to computers as a daily job usually eventually involves a fair amount of tedium and attention to detail if it is to be done right.

TigerYogiji said...

Keep the Faith, Hon! I'm sure that you'll do it this time! :)

larry said...

don't be too hard on yourself. just hang in there.

Kaio said...

Hi Dave,
Nice blog
Have a great week then.
Cheers from London!
Kaio
www.meltingduvets.blogspot.com

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet