Thursday, March 19, 2009

To My Best Friend







Tomorrow would have been my best friend's 44th birthday. He was eight days older than me. We usually celebrated our birthdays together. It's hard to believe he has been gone for 8 years now. At the same time, it seems like a whole other life time ago. I often wonder what he would be like now had he lived. He was doing well in Atlanta with his antique shop. He loved to travel. Always on the go somewhere. Rarely would you catch him at one place for very long. I miss our hanging out together. Most people thought we were a couple, we were together so much. We worked together, partied together, vacationed together, even slept together, but we never crossed the line into sex. We had seen each other at their best and at their worst. We always had each other's backs and stood up for the other no matter what. If we hadn't been friends, I would have never experienced a lot of the things in my life. I've always been grateful for that. Of course as with any type of relationship, there were rough spots occasionally, but we never let it interfere with our friendship. We always forgave and forgot. Other than my most recent ex, some of my fondest memories are with him. Two people who couldn't have been more different but found common ground. Our friendship lasted for 16 years and still continues even after his death. Happy Birthday Keith!

9 comments:

Bob said...

Truly the sign of a great friendship.
That's a nice way to honor your friend.

Unknown said...

I hope the good memories make tomorrow a good day!

A Lewis said...

Bob said it best...the sign of a beautiful, enduring friendship. Even past death. Thinking of you today.

Constant Motion said...

That is what friendships are all about. Enduring time and distance, even in light of departure into the next world. Somehow I believe he feels the same way about you.

Lemuel said...

Hold him in your heart forever!

Ruffy said...

Thanks for sharing! I completely understand who you feel! Ruffy HUGS!!!

Java said...

Hard things, these partings. I lift my glass in celebration of his life!

Ur-spo said...

You are a fortunate man to have had this man's love.

Rick said...

Dave such kind words makes us all remember when. I'm glad you had such a friendship.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet