Thursday, December 4, 2008

Get The Balance Right




I love the Yin/Yang symbol. It is a powerful reminder to keep balance in your life. That is one of the troubles I have. I have a tendency to go overboard sometimes. I become all gungho about one thing to the detriment of others. I do have an addictive personality. I can be so focused on something that I tune out everything else around me. The internet is a good example of this. While I'm currently unemployed and in school, I spend more than 10 hours a day online. To me that is excessive. I know I have other things to do but find it hard to tear myself away from the the stimulation of the computer. Any thought or question that pops into my head and I'm off on a quest to find the answers. I check blogs constantly to see if anything new has been posted. I also bore easily. So anything that keeps me in rapt attention seems to always win out. Depression is another factor. Now that my medication has kicked in to some degree, I don't ignore things like I once did. There have been times in my life when I haven't showered or shaved or changed clothes for two weeks. I just didn't care. There was no motivation. I just now got caught up on laundry. I hadn't done laundry for over 2 months and was quickly running out of anything to wear. Thankful the medication helped motivate me some to get it done. I'm seem to be an all or nothing kind of guy. I can devote untold hours to something of interest and run with it till I can go no farther. I can also just sit for hours doing nothing, with no TV or music, just sit and let my mind wander. Neither is good. Balance is what it is all about. I've yet to achieve it but it is something I strive toward. A little bit of all my interest doled out amongst chores and responsibilities during the day. Unlearning bad habits and comfortable ways of avoidance takes time. Honestly, when I'm working it is much easier to do. I have a framework, a guide, to follow. Left to my own devices leads my down a dangerous path. A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. These are some of mine.

1 comment:

Lemuel said...

I think it was the Greeks who advised "moderation in all things". I come more and more to appreciate that concept, not far removed from your theme of balance.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet