Friday, November 7, 2008

Home Sweet Home



My parents have been bouncing around the idea of helping me, (meaning they pay for it), build a house of my very own. This is the front elevation of the plan I chose. Kinda cute huh? My grandfather gave me land 20 years ago, but I've never been able to do anything with it. I never could afford to or so I thought at the time. Looking back, I could have if I managed my cash flow and credit a little better. It is 2.8 acres above his house, which my parents are now remodeling for their own. I desperately want out of this trailer. I've never felt safe in it. Not because it was in a bad area, just a trailer is not very sturdy. I need much more space than I currently have. I've got zip for storage these days, despite numerous purging. My parents and I both agree that being beside them will help me take better care of them when the time comes. I told them to think of it as a long term health care plan. From what I understand, they will sell the lake house to my sister at a very discounted rate as compensation, since they are doing this for me. I still have to wait till after they move into his old place and sell their current place, but I finally feel somewhat like an adult. The thought of finally having my own home makes me giddy.

I've been checking things out, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, cabinets, flooring, doors and the like. Very exciting! I've dreamt of my own home since high school. I know as soon as we break ground, I'll cry like a school girl. I may not always agree with my parents on everything but for an adopted child, I've never questioned their love for me. I'm trying to be thrifty. I don't want to spend all their money. I'd still like to get an inheritance later on too. At this point, if I don't win the lottery soon or find a job after I graduate, it will be my retirement.

No comments:

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet