Friday, November 21, 2008

Teen Webcast Suicide


It's appalling that a 19 year old young man, webcast his suicide. The video streamed for 12 hours, only to stop when the police arrived too late to save him. It was reported by those watching, that while some tried to talk him out of it, others egged him on. A tragic lost to his family, who said he had been dealing with bi polar disorder with medications. His overdose is just a reminder of how sad a state the mental health care is in this country and how serious depression can become. The fact than no one took him seriously until it was too late, shows a sad disconnect to those around us. Granted, he isn't the first to webcast a suicide and I wish it could be the last, but I'm not that naive. The internet is great for reaching out to others, but still common decency and common sense should still prevail. Though it was reported that some didn't take the claim seriously, as he had mentioned it before, any threat of suicide is always a call for help and should be treated as such. Having survived my own attempt at 15, that is one thing I'm truly glad I failed at. I've come to understand that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Now we need to provide help to those who ask and let them know, that suicide is not the solution. Depression has real life or death consequences.

2 comments:

rptrcub said...

Sweet merciful [insert deity here].... that is incredibly horrible. And to have people egg it on?

Murderers.

And I am glad, Dave, we both have survived.

Ultra Dave said...

Amen. Just were meant for something more, I guess. That what my mother thinks anyway.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet