Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Cool Cat


Before my ex's apartment became too trashy to visit, we would just hang out there. I spent a lot of time there over those 10 years. When he adopted a cat, he dubbed "Alice", it really seemed more homey. He wasn't much of a decorator, most of the walls were empty, but it was a cozy little love nest nonetheless. One Sunday afternoon, we were just chilling, watching a movie we rented from Blockbuster. We were laughing and talking and drinking. Fun was had by all. He went to fetch another beer from the refrigerator for himself in the kitchen. Alice was being aloof as usual, just roaming here and there, striking a pose for us occasionally. We continued on watching the movie when he returned. After about an hour, I asked him if he saw Alice. He said no not lately and that she was most likely under the bed asleep. I thought no more of it. A little later on he needed another beer. He walked into the kitchen, opened the refrigerator door, and out shot the cat! Alice must have been doing 90mph when she past me. From the sofa, where I was sitting, she wasn't anything but a long, gray blur speeding by. I turned to my ex, he looked at me, we both laughed out loud. Bless her heart. The last time he went to get a beer, she climbed into the refrigerator, while he was talking to me and not paying attention. She had been in there for over an hour, in the dark and cold. If she meowed, we never heard her. I felt so bad for her. She didn't come out from under the bed till the next morning. I guess it took her that long to thaw.

1 comment:

Lemuel said...

As I recall cats do not particularly like cold either.

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Hughes Net Satellite Internet